Sunday, July 8, 2012

DIY: Key Rack




                It has been a hot minute since I did one of my Poor Badger blogs, I have really missed it. We've had a great year so far this 2012, I just have been kept bust with a 4, 3, and 1 year old. Even as I type this I am bathing one kid for church and creeping silently to avoid waking the other two. But I truly miss this and I miss the people I've met doing this.


           Now for some old business:






           I am blessed, humbled, and dumbfounded that over 11,000 people read my blog last year. People from Asia, Africa, South America, Europe, Australia,and North America showed up to my blog. Still haven't cracked that Antarctic market though. ;)


          Thank you for that, I do hope to have more projects for you.


          Onto the project!


          This came out of a scary and frustrating situation. My husband is a janitor for a local school system and carries a set of keys for the doors, closets, etc. If he loses those keys it is MAJOR TROUBLE! Guess what he did? Hid them over his vacation so he wouldn't lose them and FORGOT where he hid them! Thank God he found them and so out of a crisis a craft emerged!




You'll need:
*a board ($2.99 @Hobby Lobby)
*scrapbook paper in any style (.59 @ Hobby Lobby)
*some hardware to hang the keys (50% sale @ Hobby Lobby.... $1.50 a PIECE!!!)
*some paint
*mod podge
*some screws







          First I painted the edge, any color you want. I Liked the dark brown with the woodsy style.




             After you paint it, figure out where on the board you want your hardware. Place and mark where the screw needs to go.




               Pre-drill your pilot holes. This makes things easier afterwards.





        Apply scrapbook paper to board with a thin layer of mod podge. Smooth out paper and work with any air bubble.


    


            Use your tiny scissors to trim the extra away.




             Apply 1 or 2 coats of mod podge to the entire project, depending on how you want it. Then screw your screws into the board. Your paper won't tear because you drilled the pilot holes.




              Because we are poor folk and do things as easy peezy as possible, I used my diet Dr. Pepper lid to make a hanging tab on the back. 



There you go! If Hobby Lobby doesn't have the 
hardware on sale, print off their 40% coupon from
their site. This would also be cute if you used cute
drawer knobs, old faucets found at a yard sale,
or something from nature. 


Thanks for reading and I promise not to be 
such a stranger anymore!

2 comments: